Oral Cancer is one of the most deadly cancers diagnosed in America today. More than 48,000 Americans are estimated to be diagnosed this year. It is important to educate yourself on prevention methods and early detection.
Oral Cancer Screening Overview:
Risk Assessment: Assesses your level of risk for Oral Cancer through a review of your overall health history.
Visual Inspection: Your Dentist will perform a visual inspection of your lips, cheeks, gums and tongue for abnormalities such as sores or red/white patches. Some dentists may use additional tests to aid in identifying areas of abnormal cells.
Possible Signs and Symptoms of Oral Cancer:
- Tenderness in any area of the face, mouth, or neck
- Unexplained numbness, loss of feeling, or pain
- Sores in the mouth that do not heal
- Red or white patches in the mouth/on the tongue
- Unexplained bleeding
To Minimize Your Risk of Developing Oral Cancer:
- Avoid the use of ALL tobacco products
- Limit drinking alcohol
- Avoid overexposure to the sun
- Have dentures evaluated by a dentist at least every five years
- Maintain a healthy diet
Maintaining your routine dental visits will greatly improve the chance that abnormalities in your mouth will be caught early. Call 770-995-1957 today to learn more about Oral Cancer & to set up your next appointment!